Monday, January 19, 2004

Math, Math and more Math

The Miquon Math materials I bought arrived last week, and Abigail's math kick is still going strong. She's done the first 15 pages of the orange book already. I think she's going to be a main lesson block type of homeschooler - the kind who works on one subject intensely for a month or two, then moves on to something else. Last fall it was reading, now it's math. I do really like the Miquon Math. It's very hands on and introduces subjects in a concrete manner. I've been looking ahead through the Lab Sheet Annotations, and really like what I see.

Isabella is starting to recognize letters in her name. She is beginning the same way Abigail did, by typing. She asks how to spell her name and I recite the letters. She can now recognize and find the I, S, A and L. She has little interest in really trying to write anything yet, but if she accidentally makes certain letters or numbers in her scribbling, she recognizes it. "Look mama, I made a number!"

The girls are over in the dining room and just decided to play Crazy 8's all by themselves. They've got the hang of go fish, so it'll be interesting to hear if they can do Crazy 8's without my help. It's fun to eavesdrop on them sometimes and their imaginative play, how they solve problems or how they figure out games like this.

Luis was laid off all of last week again, and today. He should be working tomorrow and the rest of the week though *knock on wood*. It's nice to see hime, but this so sucks. Oh my, as I was typing that, his employers just called. I'm off to eavesdrop! Yep, I'm nosy! :D

No comments: