Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Just Peachy


Luis has finally figured out that home canned peaches are a world better than Dole makes. That makes me happy. I have also discovered the the leftover syrup in the jars makes a lovely drink when mixed with white wine and seltzer. Yes, I know. I am weird.

So with Luis making inroads into the peaches I had canned for Isabella this year, I was happy when the fruit guy offered me another thirty pound box of dead ripe peaches today for the same great price. How could I say no? It was not how I intended to spend my afternoon, but I now have more peaches in syrup on the counter, slices freezing on cookie sheets and a big batch of peach butter bubbling away on the stove top.

I think the fruit guy has figured out that I am a sucker for a super deal.

In order to facilitate the afternoon's peach-a-thon, I mixed one toddler, one full peach and a half an hour in the high chair. I should have had my camera out, but of course then I couldn't have been canning the peaches if I had been taking photos. When he was finished, Simon required a shower and two hair washings. I think he might still have some bits of peach in there, but it was worth it.

No comments: