Sunday, August 31, 2008

Cooking up Memories


As Luis left to get some water from a local artisan well today, he made an off-handed remark as he walked out the door. "Why don't you womenfolk bake something?" He said it in jest, just to get my German up, but it worked for me. We were out of bread anyways. This late in the day, straight bread was a must, and since we are in basil/tomato days, a baguette to support bruschetta seemed in order.

As I started in on the bread, Isabella popped up questioning what she should make. Papa did say we should make something, not just me. She thought No Bake Cookies were a good idea, and who was I to disagree?

I love watching the kids make No Bake Cookies. I remember being their ages and coming across the recipe in a Little House on the Prairie cookbook. I remember mixing, stirring, feeling so big for using the stove, spooning the hot mixture out onto waxed paper, and failing to wait for the cookies to cool completely before starting to eat them. Watching the kids make the same cookies always takes me back to the farmhouse kitchen with white formica counter tops and mom's green cooking pots, working with my sister to scoop out the cookies.

I hope the children have similar wonderful memories as they watch their own children make No Bake Cookies some day.

No comments: