Friday, August 22, 2008

Abundance


I do like opening my pantry or freezer and seeing the fruits of my summer labors stashed away for winter's enjoyment.

Cucumbers, finally fully pickled in the fridge and heading off to the freezer.

The tomato harvest has started in earnest. I did my first batch of sauce this week. We have yellow pear tomatoes this year in addition to the standard reds that I always grow. The yellow make a sweeter bruschetta, which Isabella loves. I prefer the slightly more acid red tomato bruschetta, though.
The onions did okay this year, though they did not turn out as big as I would have hoped. I have a number of braids hanging in my basement now. I only had enough onions for about eight braids, so I doubt this will last past fall. Hopefully I can grow them larger next year. I am not giving up on larger onions yet!The first batch of tomato salsa recently joined the peaches, jams and syrups in the pantry. It turned out a little spicier than intended, but I can make some milder for the children later.

No comments: