Thursday, July 31, 2008

Worth the wait


So yesterday I had a hankering for a good beef and onion panini. I finally ate it for dinner tonight.

First I needed beef, but mine was frozen. I pulled out a hunk to thaw in the fridge. This was one of those times where a microwave would have come in handy, but anything worthwhile is worth waiting for, right?

Since I had to wait for the beef to thaw, plenty of time to make good bread. A panini without good bread is not worth eating. Baguette normal from Local Breads fit the bill, and I made that yesterday.

I came home from the office to thawed beef, so I sliced it up. Some got cooked for a future batch of fried rice, some for stir fry, and a couple of thin slices for my sandwich*.

Out to the garden for a sweetly acidic pear tomato, an onion and three basil leaves. Caramelize some onion, slice up the tomato.

Spread a little mayo on the bread. Stack the beef, onion, tomato and basil, top with a thin slice of good Swiss from Alp and Dell. Grill lightly on the panini press.

Mmmmm, dinner is served. A meal worth waiting for.

*Yes, I made this only for me. The rest of the family had other food, nothing that I had to slave over. I can be selfish that way sometimes.

No comments: