Thursday, July 03, 2008

I was a schoolchild through the eighties. During my youth, the home computer established its foothold in American society, going from novelty to common tool to almost reaching the status of one of our perceived rights (though I fail to find "bear arms and laptops" in the Bill of Rights).

I grew up composing essays and reports on lined notebook paper, then typing them out on the computer for the final edit. I did the same in college, but somewhere between graduation and now, I learned to compose my thoughts while at the keyboard. Personally, I think that is yet another thing I can thank yaaps for, but I digress.

So the other day, while waiting for the children at swimming lessons, I decided to use the time to write a blog post. I pulled out my pen and my Circa notebook (woohoo, Levenger!!) and...nothing. No thread of text pouring out through the ink. No idea taking seed and blooming into a post. No inspiration at all.

Later, at home, I sat at the keyboard to nurse the babe, and the post about procrastination flowed out. Have I lost the ability to compose my thoughts on paper? While environmentally sound, writing and editiong on a monitor is not as satisfying as simple paper.

And so I forced myself to write this post down in my Circa notebook and typed in like the days of old. Just for nostalgia's sake.

No comments: