Saturday, January 24, 2009

Things we never grow out of

When we were kids, my siblings and I drove our mother nuts with one of our habits. She would go grocery shopping, and we three would spend the next two days eating all of the good cereals for breakfasts and every snack. You know, the ones that were expensive and chock full of sugar. Peanut Butter Crunch and Super Sugar Crisp (or should I say Super Golden Crisp nowadays?) were huge favorites.

Since mom went grocery shopping every other week, devouring all the good cereal quickly meant our breakfast choices mostly consisted of Cheerios* or cornflakes until she went grocery shopping again. Being kids, we even had the nerve to complain about the lack of good cereal, even though if we had not gorged ourselves on it, it could have lasted a week.

I realized last night, that I still do this. I rarely eat cereal. I prefer a bagel, scrambled eggs with spinach or yougurt with granola for breakfast. However, if I buy good cereal, I always eat a bowl or two within the next day. Now, my definition of good cereal has changed a little. These days, good cereal means Raisin Nut Bran or Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. I picked up a big of box of the former yesterday at a great price, so come late evening, guess what I was snacking on?

Yum.

*Mom had a weakness for Honey Nut Cheerios. This would explain my lifelong love of that cereal. Honey Nut Cheerios are second only to eating Frosted Cheerios with fresh blueberries, and it is a close second.

No comments: