Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Sing it with me "Summer Lovin' happens so fast"

Luis popped the movie Grease in recently, which was rather ironic since it was the topic of discussion for a few minutes last week with a group of women I know.

I love the movie. I do not even know how many times I have watched it. I love to sing along with the songs, even the cheesy ones. It is such a fun movie.

When women discuss Grease, there tend to be two things that come up. Most of us love it. Many of us also comment on the fact that Sandy had to change to get her man, and was that really the right message to give women? This came up last week with the group of women again.

I was thinking about that today. Sandy was portrayed as a goody-goody, and Danny was obviously the bad boy. But really, what happened in the summer that we know nothing about? How goody-goody can Sandy be and still date a bad boy all summer? How bad can Danny be if he fell for Sandy? I think that during that summer, away from the restraining influence of friends, both let their real selves out to play.

It seems to me that Sandy has a wild streak in her that she was afraid to let out. Many young women have a hard time casting aside the "daddy's little girl" sweetness and light image to become who they are. It is only as we as women grow and mature that we gain the confidence to let the world see us as we really are.

I think Danny has the heart of gold and desire to do the right thing that he hid behind teenage bravado. Many young men want to be cool and tough, even though deep down they are earnest, good guys. Men have even more societal encouragement to hide their soft sides.

Danny made an effort to let his other side show. He tries to take Sandy out to the soda shop, takes her to the dance, earns the letterman sweater and does the good guy thing in doses, even though his teenage immaturity and desires win out often.

Throughout the entire movie, Sandy stands on her pedestal and lets him come to her. He makes the efforts and does all of the changing. Finally, at the end, she throws away society's restraints and makes an effort to meet him in the middle. She grows up and takes control of who she is. It is her choice to perm her hair, slash on the red lipstick and don the hot pants.

Like many young people, Danny and Sandy have many facets. I bet Sandy does not reject the sweater sets entirely and still enjoys going out on a sweet date to the malt shop. I bet Danny likes to drive fast, but still wants to carefully cherish the woman he loves.

Is the message in Grease that we as women should change to make our men happy or is it that young men and women should embrace who they really are?

I obviously have spent far too much time today analyzing the movie, eh?

2 comments:

Anne Wolfe Postic said...

Nothing more to say - I agree with this post 100%.

As an aside, a movie theater in my town is having a Grease sing-along night. How cool is that?

http://www.nickelodeon.org/movie_detail.php?movieID=411

Brenda said...

A theater sing a long night? That is fab! I would so go to that. We all know that we sing along in the comfort of our homes anyways.