Sunday, January 11, 2009

Foods I can live without

Reading the Homesick Texan's blog today got me thinking about foods that I wish I liked. She was writing about grapefruit, and how she only likes it sweeten.

Grapefruit is one of those foods I wish I liked. Growing up, I was often the one who would prepare a grapefruit for my father. I'd cut it in half, use the special knife to section it and run around the sides. I enjoyed the ritual of it, and I loved the smell. The taste though? Bleh. Not for me. I still do not like grapefruit, though the smell is still wonderful.

Ham is another of those foods. It is served at most of my family holiday celebrations, and I really do not like it. A little on a sandwich or in a risotto is good, but just a slab of ham on my plate will leave me nibbling the protein and reaching for another helping of cheesy potatoes.

I do not like ginger. Yes, I know it is more of a flavoring, not really a food you just eat, but I do not like dishes made with more than a touch of ginger. Gingersnaps, great. Gingered stir fry or curry? No.

Canned pears disgust me. I cannot stand the graininess of them. I grew up thinking I hated pears, but as a grown up I discovered that I just hate canned ones. Perfectly ripe fresh pears are satiny and wonderful though. Now that I think about it, this applies to canned fruit in general. Home canned peaches are an exception, along with pineapple.

Plums. Just do not care for them. Every year I buy them thinking I will like them this year, and every year I foist them off on the unsuspecting children.

Beer. Dis-gust-ing. Betrays my German heritage, I know. Hate the stuff. Every single one I have ever tried.

Green olives. Liverwurst. Canned peas. Grocery store cakes. Green grapes. Smoked cheeses.

I guess if anyone is thinking of treating me to a food gift, you now have a heads up to avoid these.

2 comments:

Fujiyamamama said...

Well I guess I'll just unpack that box right now then.

Anonymous said...

I agree with almost all of those actually, especially grapefruit, ham, ginger, canned pears and canned peas. Honestly canned peas are one of the most disgusting things in the world, but fresh or frozen are actually pretty good. Because I enjoy baking from scratch I find grocery store cakes pretty gross too. I DO like smoked cheeses, green olives and green grapes though. I think from the sounds of it you are one of the few people who would "get" my food issues. - Holly