Thursday, January 01, 2009

Randomness

New Year's Randomness for my sister who is complaining that she needs something new to read while she eats her Wheaties:

~ I have not actually had Wheaties in years. Do they still make them? I am pretty sure I have typed this exact same sentence before, and yet I still have not checked.

~ We joined the modern age last month with a programmable thermostat. I am curious to see if it has any impact on our astronomical heating bills. We may keep our house at 62, but it is old and costs a mint to heat. We lowered the temperature to 58 between 11 pm and 7 am, which had Luis complaining at first, but he seems okay with it now. No one has complained or even mentioned the mid day drop to 60. We are almost always home, but with the sun coming in most days and our activity level, I thought dropping it to 60 from about 11 am until 3 pm would work.

~ I have been thinking about my bread post recently, and it was really snobby of me. I was feeling inundated with people who were making the no knead breads; it seemed like it was everywhere right then. I have eaten it, and it tastes fine. However, I enjoy making the artisan sourdoughs and other breads. I like to work with the dough a bit. That is my choice though. If someone does not enjoy making the breads, but likes good bread, the no knead and 5 minutes a day methods are great alternatives. I retract that post, and my apologies to anyone who makes them.

~ I have been wondering lately why I do not eat pickles more. Not kosher dills and that kind, but pickles as a vegetable on the plate. They taste good, the crunch is nice this time of year, but I never think to put them out with dinner. Pickles were something we pretty much only put on hamburgers as a kid.* That and the occasional pickled beets at my grandmothers. I should pickle more things and serve them more often.

~ I just used the words I have in the beginning of two thirds of my first entries. Must use other words.

~ We took down the holiday tree today, and it is so nice to have the open space again. I think that every year. The tree is pretty, but I like to be able to see out the window and have the room back.

~ Vincent has learned how to dial my cell phone number from the home cell phone. When I was at work for four hours the other day, he called me 12 times during the first three hours. He also called Luis at least once that I know of. Yes, I discussed appropriate telephone use with him, and hopefully it has been nipped in the bud. It is cute the way he ends every conversation with a *mwah* kiss though. He forgot with one call, and he immediately called back to kiss me and hang up.

~ I get the very fun job of taking a sensory child clothes shopping soon. Isabella received many, many clothes for the holidays. She has grown, so only two pair of pants and one shirt fit and did not feel "funny". We get exchange a pile that is two feet high. I think I will leave the other three at my in laws to a) make it easier for me, and b) give her some special one on one time.

~ I went grocery shopping on New Years Eve day, just to pick up a few things.** I never knew the store was such a madhouse that day. Many of the checkout lines were open, and the lines were still four carts deep. I was thankful that I was taking advantage of the kids being home with the neighbor girl who was babysitting while I was at work. It cost me an extra $2 for the extra time the shopping took, but it was the best $2 I have ever spent. I am starting to wonder if I should hire her every time I go grocery shopping. It would make the process much more fun.

~ I still think of The Daily Digress every time I do a footnote. Annie, you and footnotes are permanently linked in my head. If you have not read The Daily Digress, you should do so. She writes much more often than I do, and she is a hoot.

Okay, little sister, I hope you had an enjoyable read. I will try to get back on the ball and blog more often.


*Well, except for my freak of a brother who would put them on his bizarre ketchup and mayo sandwiches, but that was just weird.

**I am the only one who will go in for one five dollar item and spend $75? Never fails.

No comments: