Tuesday, May 29, 2007


Summer means bare feet running through the grass.

It means dirty soles, stubbed toes and skinned knees.

Sandals are cast off, strewn around the yard, bright spots of color like flowers amidst the green of the grass.

Run quickly across the scorching pavement to feel the cool softness of the grass on your feet. Do that hop-run as you encounter the thistle papa missed.

Dip your toes in the wading pool, letting the water envelope your feet and lap at your ankles. Stomp in a puddle after an afternoon rain, sending droplets everywhere.

Look out for the rocks hiding in the yard and walk carefully over the mulch. Bandages tattoo small toes caked in dirt, and nails stay rimmed in black even after being washed.

Bare feet have returned to our neighborhood.

Welcome Summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I had to go looking for it because I didn't have a bookmark and I am so glad I did. Your kids are so cute and your life does indeed sound so full - keep on blogging, I'm reading! :)