Thursday, February 19, 2009

Recipe-palooza continues

For Darla this time, here is that hot fudge sauce recipe.

Chocolate Sauce

1/2 c butter
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 c sugar
1 c light cream or evaporated milk*
1/2 c light corn syrup **
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter and chocolate. Add sugar, cream, corn syrup and vanilla. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 1/2 minutes.*** Remove from heat.

Makes about 3.5 cups. Serve warm or cold.

*I always use evaporated milk. And since a can of evaporated milk is about 1 1/2 cups, I usually make 1 1/2 batches of the syrup at a time because otherwise what else am I going to do with 4 ounces of evaporated milk? I could probably come up with something, but it is just easier to make an extra half batch. The kids gobble this down on their pancakes, so that extra bit makes sure I get some for my mochas. And yes, I let the kids put this chocolate syrup on their pancakes.

**Okay, I have never actually used the corn syrup in the recipe. I usually toss in a little extra sugar to compensate for it, but I rarely measure the extra. It is probably about 1/4 c or so.

***The longer you boil, the thicker and fudgier the syrup is. I usually try for a scant 1 1/4 minutes if I want it pourable, 1 1/2 or 2 minutes if I want to be able to just eat it with a spoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Boy, have I been craving this stuff.