Thursday, June 26, 2008

When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe

Some days, I just need to remind myself of the above words.

For as much as we think that we are a unique place and time in history, reading quotes from a century or a millennium previous that echo the rhetoric and catch-phrases of today show me that human nature has been unchanged for centuries. It makes me feel less like an explorer in a new, unexplored wilderness and more like someone who is retracing a path traveled by many people before me. The physical setting may be different than in Beecher Stowe's or Aristotle's time, but the sentiment is still the same.

No comments: