Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Oh the memories

Luis and I took a ballroom dance class back in our college years. It was a lovely experience except for one thing: the instructor insisted that we could not focus on learning how to dance together. She said we must dance with other partners because that is the way life is.

She was wrong. I could count on one hand the number of times I have danced with another man as an adult woman. I'd bet all of those times were with my own father. I am sure she thought college romance wouldn't last, and that she was doing a good thing by teaching us to dance with others, but what she did instead was take some of the joy and beauty out of dance for us.

Over the years, I have occasionally mentioned to Luis that I would like to take another dance class with him. When the local theater guild started a dance class for the bargain price of $10 per person for five classes, he signed us up.

What a joy it has been to relearn to dance with my husband. Sure, he is usually a half beat off and I often mess up on the footing after spins, but when we dance and he looks at me...

I remember why I fell in love.

To watch us dance is to hear our hearts speak. ~Hopi Indian Saying

2 comments:

Fujiyamamama said...

Awwwwwww.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blog. I thought Abigail said you two were taking dance classes again. Good for you. Enjoy the love. -Amy