Sunday, July 08, 2007

A few weeks ago, I started writing an entry that took on a life of its own. Every once in a while, that happens. I start writing about one thing and before I know it, the entry morphs into something completely unintended. This one was about my sister, and I hesitated to post it because I know she reads my blog. I saved a copy of it, and skipped posting an entry that day.

Today I was talking with Luis about something altogether different when I thought again of that unposted entry. I realized I was being stupid. Why on earth would I not want my sister to know the things I wrote about? It was deeply personal, but I would have posted it without a second thought had I not known that she reads this blog. If I am able to tell the internet world that I love my sister and am proud of her, I should be able to tell her.

I love you, Squirt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My relationship with my sister has evolved over the years. When we were kids, I’m certain she thought I hated her. I was cruel to her in the way children and siblings are to each other. To be honest, I was jealous of her. She is naturally athletic, coordinated and socially at ease, all things I never have been. In school, I saw her interacting easily with her peers and I had to bear the gym teacher’s constant comments, things like “Your sister did 100 sit-ups in the (presidential fitness) test; how many will you do?” Looking back, I realize that she probably had crosses to bear of her own with following me academically, but I never thought about that back then.

With a three year age difference and four years between us in school, we have often been in different stages of life. I was in college when she was in high school. When I was a newlywed and young mother, she was in college herself and doing internships. In the last few years, we are finally in similar places – working, married, home owners, settling in to our community. In short, adults.

Our relationship has matured along with us. My sister is a valued friend. I enjoy spending time with her, and I hope she enjoys being around me too. She is still athletic, coordinated and more social than I am, but I am at peace with that. I know my talents lie elsewhere, and I am thankful she is around to teach my children to bump a volleyball. I am proud to call her my sister. She helps people both in her occupation as a therapist and in her business. She uses that outgoing, social manner to make a difference in people’s lives and for the earth.

I really love the adult she has become and I am so thankful she is in my life.

No comments: